By god, the word “eduployment” grates on the nerves, but if it is the near future, then I need to slide sideways and find a new generation of learners to help in very specific ways. I need to retrain myself if this is true.
8 Themes For The Near Future Of Tech
“As we pull ourselves out of the ditch that was 2020, there are a few major themes of the future I’m particularly excited about. Like previous years, I am sharing them as a way to connect more dots, meet more founders, and solicit input to further develop these ideas. No surprise, some of the companies I mention within these trends are in my own portfolio or related to my work. But I have challenged myself to share ideas still on the cusp of breakout rather than the obvious trends and winners.
- “Decentralized” is spreading to unexpected places.
- The Era of Eduployment: Identifying a trade, getting an education, and getting a job (or starting a company) become fully integrated.
- A few seemingly quirky social apps will tune into the under 16 demographic’s distinct approach to creation as a form of self-expression and tolerance for transparency by default.
- Talent will increasingly own their audience, with the rise of “channels of one” and community-as-a-service.
- More and more niche functions of the enterprise will become multi-player, powered by a next generation of highly specialized, AI-bolstered, enterprise companies with consumerized product experiences.
- Creativity tools will be deployed across the enterprise, much like productivity tools were deployed in previous decades.
- New and disruptive interfaces will emerge that aggregate and connect the underlying services we use to live and work.
- Another round of “the roaring 20’s” is ahead of us, where the pent-up desires from the pandemic will be unleashed in the form of fashion, travel, and culture-bending creative self-expression.”